A/C makes everyone happier!

Our Reverse-Cycle Air conditioning unit is installed, not leaking, and making a very happy mamas and stooges! (Unfortunately Chuck has not been home much to fully appreciate his hard work). I won’t tell you this was an easy job, and I think we lost about 10 lbs. from sweat; but the bruises, blood, and sweat was well worth it!

         This couldn’t have been completed without the help of fellow sailors so a HUGE thank you to Dan, Capt Dave, Susan, Justin, and Logan! There is also a HUGE thank you to those that Chuck used as a resource before we even started this project. Last but not least, thank you to Chandler, Charlene, and Bosun for offering their guest room to us and the stooges as we completed this project.

Oh, you wanted the details? My bad! Here ya go! This is the layman terms version as Chuck is much more technical in his blogging, but you get me today 🙂 This all started when a fellow sailor was getting rid of his heat pump to upgrade. The unit was literally in the back of his truck to go to the dump, and Chuck said “WAIT! We’ll take it.” This blog shows you the physical act of installing this unit, not the mental energy Chuck spent thinking about this, and planning the install. Without that, we might all be a pile of sweat at this point.

Chuck and Dan first started by getting the below elbow off the thru hull. This provided a thru hull to use, along with space for them to install the sea strainer, and the pump (pictured below).



I was able to join them in time to do some of the plumbing (yeah for being the small person aboard), which entailed running the hose underneath the bed in the aft cabin. The most technical part was the drilling of the holes, however there was one portion that took all three of us, and some creativity with rope to get the hose run through the drilled holes!

We did have to drill another hole in the boat, which we always hate doing. Fortunately this one was much much smaller than the one we had to drill for the exhaust for the heater! However, this put me in the dinghy on the outside of the boat. It was so hot that the second you stepped outside, you started sweating. So by time we drilled the hole, I looked like I had taken a shower. Eww!



I’m not sure how I was stable enough in the dinghy long enough for Chuck to get this picture, but yes that is me outside in the dinghy, looking in the hole we just drilled. Added some caulk and put the thru hull fitting in.

Below is a good picture of the aft cabin/ bed that became our work bench. This is just one of the reasons we stayed at a friend’s house. This way we didn’t have to completely clean up each night to tear the boat up again the next morning. It was so extremely hot those couple of days, and having to squish ourselves into awkward positions that made you sweat more made it that much more tiring. When given the opportunity, we opted for a clean bed, cold shower, and pizza!



I was exhausted!!! I can’t even be mad at Chuck for taking this picture, because who would pass up this opportunity!

Before we even started this project, we had to spend a lot of time figuring out where we would put the unit. The unit ended up in our “chemical locker” which is located directly across from the engine room, and right outside of the aft cabin. This was not only enough space for it, but made a shorter distance for wiring and ducting. However, we did have to make a hole in the closet bulkhead!

WP_20150614_001        WP_20150614_16_17_21_Pro

Our boat neighbor, Justin, came to help Chuck with the wiring. Logan, his son, entertained me while the men worked on that. This is Justin working on the unit. If nothing else, it shows the small space we had to work in. For the wiring, we had to install another 30 amp inlet so we had enough power to run the unit. Not extremely hard, just twisting my body in weird ways to get to where I needed to be in the engine room (I like to pretend I am a part of Cirque du Soleil, haha.). We then had to wire from engine room to the unit.


After the wiring was done, we had to finish the ducting. This runs behind my closet and drawers, which did involve two large holes. We still have to do some insulation around the ducting, but for now we are in business.  Cold air is pumping like a champ out into the aft cabin. We did lose some space for chemicals, and I lost some closet space. Just another chance to reevaluate my wardrobe, and if there is anything to get rid of (there was, shocking :))

Last but not least, here is one of the dogs helping! They are in the passage way to the aft cabin. While we were working, we had the hatch AC unit in the aft cabin hatch so this was as close to the AC  as they could get. (Don’t worry, they tried hard to get back there but unfortunately they take up more space than they realize).


After installation, we needed to check the plumbing and look for leaks. We didn’t find any initially. Chuck then installed the control panel while I was at work. He put this right next to the nav station, and right below our radio. By time I got home from work, this was all complete.

Later on, I did find some water when I woke up the next morning and when I returned to the boat in the afternoon. Fortunately, I was able to repair this while Chuck was away. The drain holes from the drip pan were the culprits. I feel extremely proud of that fact, so I had to brag a bit. It wasn’t rocket science, but hard to find with the small space of the heat pump and where it was located. We are now enjoying cold air, and a cold room for sleep. A fan blows some of that cool air out into the main cabin. With 100 degree day yesterday, unsure of humidity, the boat was 84 degrees for the dogs to be in! In the mornings, I am waking up to somewhere between 68-76 degrees!



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *